40tude is a rapidly expanding group of people who have decided to take action against the second biggest cancer killer in the Western world.
Since the organisation was founded in September 2011, 40tude has raised over £800,000 for St Mark's Hospital Foundation. St Mark's Hospital is a world leading centre for research and treatment of bowel disorders and 40tude is helping to fund pioneering research projects which are targeted at the early diagnosis and treatment of colon cancer.
40tude curing colon cancer is a registered charity in the UK - Registered Charity Number 1160500.
Things we have learned about Colon Cancer
- If you are a non-smoker in the UK, male or female, colon cancer is the most likely cancer to kill you. This type of cancer affects women and men equally.
- There are 40,000 new cases of colon cancer each year, and 16,000 deaths.
- This needn’t be the case: colon cancer is one of the easiest cancers to treat if it is detected early.
- The good news is that this cancer is also preventable, through regular screening.
- If you have a test to look for colon cancer and its precursor polyps are detected, these can be easily removed, significantly reducing the risk of developing this type of cancer.
- Take action now! Heightened awareness of colon cancer is essential, particularly for anyone in their 40s and 50s. Any change in bowel habit should be discussed immediately with your doctor and after the age of 45 there should be a low threshold for colonic examination.
- Please don’t put it off - take steps to get yourself checked and encourage your friends and family members to do the same if they are in the “at risk” age group.
- Colonoscopy and "accredited CT colongraphy" are currently the 'gold standards' of bowel screening. The NHS is not able to offer these forms of screening to the whole population but that shouldn't stop you considering adding them to your screening programme.
- Colonoscopy is widely available. 40tude is supporting the world-leading team at St Mark’s Hospital Foundation in their work to improve the accuracy and availability of CT colonography - a screening method which uses the latest imaging technology. The aim is to ensure high-quality screening options are available to many more people across the UK – and wider afield - in the near future.
- We’re working also to raise awareness to help reduce the suffering from this disease – so please do help us to spread the word about the importance of getting screened.
Please do take a moment to watch this short video which shows you just how easy an accredited CT Colonography is to have. Please share it widely also to encourage your friends and family to get screened as early as possible also.